Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Peter's in a New Area!


Hey Mom and Family,                                                                            6-5-12

     Thanks for the email!  This week was way good.  Samuel didn't get baptized yet, he decided for the 3rd of July to be baptized with his niece.  But we did baptize Elisangela.  Jonatan is really enjoying the lessons and church, at least I think he is, he doesn’t really talk ever.  The baptism of Elisangela was way good.  She asked me to baptize her; it was a really powerful baptism. 
     Anyways, I got transferred.  I’m training now!  My greenie's name is Elder Leyburn from New York.  However you can't be a zone leader and train in this mission, so I got released and put in as a district leader again.  It was quite the story to get here into my area though.  It was raining, we had a good 4 bags, and my box came in, so we were both trying to walk a ton, get on the bus, and find our house before 9:00PM.  We ended up getting lost after we got off the bus, but there were some kids that helped us out carry our bags around and whatnot.  Anyways, our phone died and so we couldn’t call the guy that was giving us instructions.  Miraculously though, just 2 seconds before the phone died he told us the number of the house, we had a small idea on which street, but we ended up finding it all and getting in on time.  It was a very fun and wet experience.  My pillow is soaked, but my companion thought it was a great first day on the mission, so I guess I did my job.  Anyways, while we were sleeping some rats woke me up.  I don't think they can get in; luckily houses here are made up of rocks and cement, so they can’t chew their way in.  That didn’t mean that they didn’t try though.  There are some cracks between the door and the ground and some past elders put some random stuff in to block the hole.  So the rats were making loud noises and made the door rattle trying to get in. 
     I’m pretty stoked though, this is considered one of the poorest areas on the mission, it's got a lot of ghetto, but it baptizes a ton.  Our goal is to baptize 2 per week, after this 10th (because of the temple dedication in Manaus).  You should pray to help us out with this goal.  My companion doesn’t speak a word of Portuguese, but we're trying to help him out as much as possible.  It's funny you talk about protection though.  I can truly feel protection a lot on this mission.  Just yesterday for example, there was some idiot trying to back his car, and he nicked me in my legs with the car.  He wasn’t going too fast, but it was enough to almost knock me over.  Now that I think about it, he was going downhill so he should have been going a lot faster.  I’m not too worried on dying here on the mission though, due to the hints given in my patriarchal blessing of a life that I'll have after the mission. 
     Anyways, it's still cool to send the German Book of Mormon and dictionary.  That way I could at least learn how to read it.  Also, I made a deal with the assistants here that they should “spill the beans” and let me know some transfer information and in return I’d give them some basketball shorts.  (However I don't have any shorts, I was wondering if you could send 2 pair--medium size please—with the German books.  Thanks!) 
     Anyways, one of the members in the area (the one that gave the reference of Elisangela) taught me how to make a cheese that you can throw on a barbeque that's pretty popular here in Brazil.  And he taught me how to make homemade butter.  The only problem is that we need 10 liters of milk straight from the cow.  So it's going to be hard to find the ingredients.  Anyways, I love you!

Elder Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment