Monday, October 29, 2012

Who would have thought: TaeKwonDo and Raffles...?


Hey Mom and Family,               10-29-12 

This week was good. I had a lot of opportunities to study and to think about the mission, it was really good. I bought a book at the temple called the teachings of Joseph Smith. I've got a ton of books at home. Anyway before I go to bed I study a little bit of it. It's way good. I'm learning a lot of doctrine about the basic doctrines of faith, repentance, and baptism and whatnot. This week we had a chance to go to the temple. We got there right when the 9:00 session started so we just missed it. But we had a chance to be witnesses to sealings. It was really cool to go through there; it's been a long time since I’ve been there with mom.  I was actually a part of the sealings; I was a witness with the sealer! It was really cool to see the blessings that are promised when we are sealed.  

Here in our ward we have a Tae-Kwon-Do class at the church and this Friday was its 2nd anniversary. We put up a table outside of it and we started a raffle. We ended up with about 30 new investigators and addresses with it, and two families got a free movie and picture of Christ. We're still sorting out the addresses and planning out new visits. The good thing is that a good part of them live in the place where we're working.  

Yesterday the elders (whom we live with) baptized. It was pretty sad, I felt like I had to push them to baptize the convert. I called the convert (Murilo) and asked him why he didn't go to church that day and he said that he got home really late with his friends and couldn't make it. I told him that he's still worthy to be baptized (I interviewed him the day before), and asked him if he still wanted to be baptized and he said yes. So I marked Murilo for baptism later that day. I then told the elder the good news, but they weren’t happy at all and said that they didn’t feel comfortable because their ward would get mad at them for baptizing someone on such short notice. It almost fell through, but they finally marked a set time and Murilo was baptized. I feel like this is a problem on the mission. Many missionaries are scared to act when they should, to help someone get baptized. When someone passes a baptismal interview, that person needs to be baptized as quickly as possible, if not, Satan has that much more time to get in the way, and usually he does!  

 Anyways, they just got done with elections here in the city and in all of Brazil for mayors and stuff.
 
 I had the same plan to take an easier load at BYU in spring. My mind needs to start easy before I get into the harder classes. I was thinking of taking some of the classes that I didn’t do so well in again. I'm not too sure how it works, but I think if I do that it should get my GPA back up.  Anyways, take a look at that and see if it's better to take the old classes that were bad over again, or if it's better to take some new ones and do well on them. 

 Well, I should get going, I'm exhausted. I played soccer today in the really, really, really hot sun. Love you all, thanks for the prayers! 

Elder Williams

 

No comments:

Post a Comment